[lbo-talk] Anyone remember a "classic" radical paper critiquing law schools?

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 10:01:19 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I remember once finding here a highly-regarded radical look at how
> elite law schools (or at least Harvard) are run. Does anyone remember
> it?
>

> Thanks,
> Tayssir

There is so much to choose from and I think many of us on this list have offered our own critique. Also part of the origin of the legal realism was a critique of law school.

But for a classic take, influenced by marxist existentialism among other traditions, try "Legal Education and the Reproduction of Hierarchy: A Polemic Against the System" by Duncan Kennedy. http://www.amazon.com/Legal-Education-Reproduction-Hierarchy-Critical/dp/0814748058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219078452&sr=8-1

Kennedy has his own website where you can download his papers but I am not sure that this long essay is available there.

It's a wonderful read no matter if you are interested in Law School or not. Generally it is a take on how the ruling classes and its intellectual elites make sure they keep on going.

Jerry