[lbo-talk] What They Teach You at Harvard Business School

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Aug 20 16:38:50 PDT 2008

At 02:57 PM 8/20/2008, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article4443213.ece
>

>He is surprised at the large presence of earnest Mormons and unimaginative
>former-military men in this cauldron of capitalism. But gradually this
>begins to make sense, for HBS is pervaded with an oppressive atmosphere of
>unquestioning obedience and creepy religiosity. There is the confessional
>My Reflected Best-Self exercise, to encourage students "to create a
>developmental agenda for leveraging their reflected best-self" and "work
>maximally from positions of strength". Approved results sound like this:
>"I do not take on the negative energy of the insecure . . . I stay
>centered . . . I try to model the message of integrity, growth and
>transformation." . . .

not that i have a handle on the entirety of b school curriculum, but if what i went through was any guide -- and my reading of countless management books since (we have free sub to o'reilly and some other online libs) and i've read out of utter fascination, like a car wreck -- is that this can be credited to the book, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, which seems to be incredibly popular.

<...>

>But why the hell would the rest of us want to be led by these
>spreadsheet-reading, PowerPoint-presenting swots who've devoted the best
>years of their lives simply to making moolah?

unfamiliar with the slang, swot, but it cracked me up b/c, inadvertantly, he used a word that is a common acronym in nearly all of these books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis

but i can see how all of that works, in any b-school, it teaches you to get really really comfortable living in your own alternate reality. because that's what most of these guys do.