[lbo-talk] Star Wars is Reaganism

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Aug 21 10:55:46 PDT 2008

I keep hearing this line of reasoning:

>> This proves that the missile defence system is necessary
>> after all: it will stop the missiles Russia will now aim
>> at Poland, the Czech Republic and the UK in response to,
>> er, their involvement in the missile defence system.

... which is just stupid (or deliberately misleading). The Russians don't care about these missiles: they are small, few in number, and wouldn't stop what Russia has now threatened Poland with (as if Russia has ever needed a good reason to threaten Poland, but I digress). The Russians *do* care about the radar systems that go along with the missiles (which are to be based in the Czech Republic), which are omni-directional and thus cover as much of Russia as they do the purported "rogue states" who, the story goes, might only be able to launch a few missiles and might possibly be stopped by an anti-missile system.

Condi said "A defensive missile is pointed, of course, a no one" -- but the radar system is pointed at Russia. Poor Poland: suckered into being a pawn once again (in exchange for a few 'magic beans' -- Patriot missiles!), when will they learn?

/jordan