[lbo-talk] Manhunt & McCain

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 21 12:07:04 PDT 2008

<http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=glbt&sc2=&sc3=&id=79182>

Crutchley steps down from Manhunt board over McCain contribution by Ethan Jacobs staff reporter Wednesday Aug 20, 2008

Jonathan Crutchley, the Manhunt.net co-founder whose $2300 contribution to John McCain created an uproar in the LGBT blogosphere after it was reported on by the Towleroad blog last week, has stepped down as chair of the company’s board after angry Manhunt customers closed their accounts.

The Cambridge-based Manhunt is a worldwide purveyor of online gay hookups.

Larry Basile, who co-founded the company with Crutchley and who is now the sole board member, issued a statement announcing Crutchley’s decision and emphasizing his own commitment to LGBT rights and Democratic causes. Basile claims that Crutchley’s donation "left the entire board in disbelief," but according to the company’s filings with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Office Basile and Crutchley are the only members of the company’s board of directors.

"There has been a depiction this week of MANHUNT being Republican. All my life, I have never voted to the right, and have always been generous to 20th Century Democrats, Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders, HRC, and the NGLTF," wrote Basile in his statement. "I was arrested at the Supreme Court and FDA in Act-Up actions, and was the founder of the Grass Roots Gay Rights Fund, which over the years has raised more than $800K. I was the Treasurer of Out Week magazine, which was a powerful force in its time. I began giving Obama donations in March 2007, and I have sent several checks that have yet to be reported. ... It should be known that Jonathan Crutchley’s donation to McCain left the entire Board in disbelief. I am disappointed that we have lost some customers, and I understand the anger. It is too bad for the web site if we lose customers, but PLEASE never refer to me as a Republican. I consider it an offense. Earlier today, at the request of the Board, Jonathan has stepped down as Chairman."

There are several unanswered questions about the impact Crutchley’s departure from the board of Manhunt has on his relationship with the company. Manhunt provided Bay Windows with Basile’s statement but declined to comment further for this story. It is unclear whether Crutchley retains his stake in the ownership of Manhunt or continues to derive income from the company. It is also unclear whether he has any role in the day-to-day operations of the company.

The fate of Crutchley’s $2300 contribution to the McCain campaign is also unknown. Basile told the Boston Herald that the McCain campaign informed Crutchley his donation would be returned, and Basile claimed that Crutchley plans to donate the money to the Obama campaign. Jeff Grappone, a spokesman for McCain, did not respond to a request to comment for this story.