[lbo-talk] WANTED: MOST EVIL COMPANY OF THE YEAR

Ira Glazer ira.glazer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:28:44 PDT 2008

Public Eye Awards, c/o Berne Declaration, PO Box, CH-8026 Zurich, Switzerland Tel. +41 (0)44 277 70 06, Fax +41 (0)44 277 70 01, publiceye at evb.ch

WANTED: MOST EVIL COMPANY OF THE YEAR

Call for Nominations for the „Public Eye Awards 2009" in Davos

Zurich, August 18, 2008

Dear Colleagues

Everybody's talking about corporate social responsibility, but there are still far too many companies out there engaging in evil business practices and mistreating people and the environment. This is why the Berne Declaration (BD) and Greenpeace Switzerland, our new event partner, will give out another round of „Public Eye Awards" that remind the world's corporate leaders at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos of their increasing social and environmental responsibility. Pro Natura – Friends of the Earth Switzerland is not involved in this tenth edition of Public Eye. For the anniversary production BD was looking for a new event partner – and found it with Greenpeace. The last feel-bad awards for the most irresponsible corporations stirred up considerable media attention and various responses from the award-winning companies. The French nuclear multinational Areva for instants set up a special website to counter our „unfounded accusations" and the commodities giant Glencore from Zug, in accepting its anti-award, promised the nominating organizations it would clean up its act.

In planning to repeat last year's success we invite you to take an active role in shaping our „Public Eye Awards 2009", the critical alternative to the WEF's annual meeting in Davos.

Worst corporations, best employees

Again, we are looking for corporations that have blatantly disregarded their social and environmental responsibility in a recent specific case or instance for which there is sufficient documentation. We are looking for nominees in two geographical categories:

GLOBAL PLAYERS" (including WEF-member companies) SWISS COMPANIES" (from transnationals to small or medium size)

As in previous years, there will also be an award for a courageous individual or group of individuals whose exemplary action most successfully changed their company from the inside. Possible actions by one or more employee(s) that led to an improvement of a company's social and environmental performance include in-house initiatives, whistleblowing or a strike.

Thus the name of the award POSITIVE AWARD" for the most courageous employee to

Public Eye Awards, c/o Berne Declaration, PO Box, CH-8026 Zurich, Switzerland Tel. +41 (0)44 277 70 06, Fax +41 (0)44 277 70 01, publiceye at evb.ch

Minimum effort, maximum benefit

On one A4-page, convince us why your nominee – whether a company or a most courageous employee – deserves a „Public Eye Award". In return we offer maximum international media attention for your organization and your concerns. And if your nominee is the winner in one of the three categories someone from your group will attend the prominent WEF-alternative event in Davos with all expenses paid.

Please send your nominations by electronic or snail mail to: publiceye at evb.ch or Public Eye Awards c/o Berne Declaration, PO Box, CH-8026 Zürich

DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS is September 15, 2008. For more information about the nominating procedure go to www.publiceye.ch or call Oliver Classen, phone +41 (0)44 277 70 06.

So then: ready, set, go Davos!

Thanks for your participation and spreading the word.

Yours truly

Oliver Classen Swati Jangle

Coordinator „Public Eye Awards" Project Leader "Public Eye Awards"

Berne Declaration Greenpeace Switzerland

publiceye at evb.ch

swati.jangle at ch.greenpeace.org