[lbo-talk] The 'BRIC' countries as a new 'pole' in the global order - A bubble trade?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:25:34 PDT 2008

Sure, I agree with what you've described so far.

It is basically the "Mystery of Capital" thesis Hernando de Soto puts out or the converse to "What's the matter with Kansas?"

But these structures you describe don't seem to be trans-capitalist but pre-capitalist. That's fine. Such structures are really important, but it's not as if Europe, for example, isn't filled with them.

Capitalism makes such structures regular, fungible and liquid and it is really the capitalist institutions of the developed countries that are being adopted, as you describe it.

So I'm not seeing a reason to think the BRIC countries should become another pole in the global order rather than something dominated Empire's capitalism.

Rather, I'm seeing the BOVESPA down from 73 to 56, RTS from 25 to 17, SENSEX from 20 to 15, and Shanghai down from 6 to 2.5, all within a year and none showing particular signs of stopping their descent. These countries are all holding dollars and trading in dollars. Their own currencies are not internationalizing. And so, at the very least, we can conclude that their financial systems are not serving their "developmental" systems.

On top of that, their governments are - it seems to me - major impediments to an independent and transformative future led by these developmental structures you see.

>From best to worst, Brasil is doing okay, India is not succeeding in
serving its working class, Russia is a militaristic nightmare and China? I don't see the Wal-Mart Communist Party handing over the reins of power to anybody or anything any time soon.

If the thesis is that these countries will somehow out-transform Capital simply because they are pre-capitalist, I don't buy it. If the thesis is that they will catch up really fast to stagnant capital, I think it's going to be tough with these bubbles bursting.