[lbo-talk] What They Teach You at Harvard Business School

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 09:59:36 PDT 2008

--- On Thu, 8/21/08, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] What They Teach You at Harvard Business School
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Date: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 6:26 PM
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>
> > Didn't some of you hear this during the Vietnam
> era? Weren't there
> > jackasses who ignored the carpet bombing, the
> deforestation, the ton
> > upon ton of metal hurled against the Vietnamese and
> concluded,
> > astoundingly, that failure came from our unexampled
> niceness and 'lack
> > of will'?
>
> Yup. We fought "with one hand behind our back."
> Just like the liberals
> were keeping the cops from fighting crime.

[WS:] For this mindset, Amerika is god and patriotism is a religion - it cannot possibly fail. If it appears that it does, it must be the fallings of its followers or the work of traitors. Hence the myths about fighting with one hand behind our back, liberal betrayal (like Judas) and so on.

BTW, I am amazed how much this form of patriotism "my country is infallible" is spread in the US - you see it everywhere on the internet. It seems to be far more prevalent here than in Canada and EU countries.

Wojtek