[lbo-talk] SEIU allows employers to exclude workers from unions

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 10:00:47 PDT 2008

It seems as if you don't understand this. No rights have been sacrificed at all. No election agreement between a union and an employer could "trade away workers' rights" under the Wagner Act. UNC workers are free to get 30% of their unit on authorization cards and file for an NLRB election, just like any other group of workers covered by the NLRA.

SEIU and Unite Here! have agreed not to organize this unit under the agreement, but UNC workers are free to organize with any other union, or form their own independent union. A good question to ask yourself: what food service organizing is going (or has gone on in the past) on besides what happens under the context of this agreement? Why is that?