[lbo-talk] SEIU news

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 22 11:45:50 PDT 2008

At 10:02 PM 8/21/2008, Jim Straub wrote:

>>And how much sympathy are strikers going to get if they walk out the
>>same day the news of Freeman's taking a leave of absence hits the
>>front page?
>

>Apparently not much from this list. But the average working-class
>person in LA supports the janitors getting a better contract, and
>doesnt change their mind about that when a union president gets kicked
>out for doing this kind of corruption.

I'm sure they get plenty from this list. And I'm not talking about sympathy from workers. I'm talking about people who don't know anything much about labor organizing and its worth, which is apparently is most everybody in the country. I don't see how acting like the Freeman story is no big deal helps.

You keep saying I'm ignoring things about this story. So far you've ignored the suggestion that SEIU's centralized structure creates the "conditions of possibility" for this sort of thing.