[lbo-talk] SEIU

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 13:21:05 PDT 2008

Mark Rickling wrote:
> Where's the criticism of the vast majority
> of the labor movement, which has no plan to grow, no plan to build
> density? Given this, should one of the only unions that does have an
> organizing plan be the focus of so much ire from the left?

Yes, LBO is the home of nothing but praise for the vast majority of the labor movement. Very astute of you to pick up on that.

Perhaps the ire is because the SEIU trades a unions teeth for members. A toothless union isn't worth much. When the employer gets to dictate when, how, and where union activities take place and bar the right to strike, or even disparage the company how is this supposed to be perceived? Especially when deals are made that specifically bar union members from even being informed. I would never join any organization that considered it important to bar me from even knowing what they were doing on "my" behalf. Just because you're cool with this stuff doesn't mean criticisms of such policies are unfounded or unfair.

John Thornton