[lbo-talk] Robert Fitch on ties to employers

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 22 13:55:24 PDT 2008

Maybe this will clarify what I've been asking about Freeman. Fitch thinks there's a logic and a problem with what he describes here. The Freeman story is similar, with the sponsoring of a golf tournament at a luxury resort and membership in elite club.

http://www.forbes.com/ceonetwork/2006/01/06/fitch-labor-union-corruption-cx_hc_0109labor.html

Talk about the retraining fund in the United Auto Workers union and how it influences the union's organizing.

These were ostensibly set up for retraining and now involve a whole bunch of different kinds of expenditures like childcare funds and so forth.

The administrative expenses are as high as 40%, and they generate a lot of opportunities for self-dealing. The leadership is able to spend these funds to sponsor stock car races

you know, black tie parties, they get to go out to Las Vegas.

It ties the union leadership to employers in ways that, I think, are really unhealthy. The members are able to learn little about what's going on with these funds.

There's nothing really criminal that's been revealed so far. I think the funds are corrupting in the sense that they tend to promote interests of the leadership as against concerns of the membership, but that's not illegal.