[lbo-talk] NYT: Residents cry "Save Our Prison!" AFSCME joins fight to keep prison open

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 08:15:24 PDT 2008

[Check out the AFCSME logo on the "Save Our Prison" shirts at URL. -B.]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/us/24prison.html?ref=us

August 24, 2008

Proposed Prison Closing Hits at the Heart of a Town By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PONTIAC, Ill. (AP) — When residents here heard that the governor wanted to close the 137-year-old Pontiac Correctional Center, taking hundreds of jobs from the area, they mobilized.

They held rallies and a parade. Streets were lined with blue and white “Save Our Prison” signs, and people were outfitted in T-shirts to match.

The 12,000 or so residents now find themselves trying to talk Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich, a Democrat, out of closing the town’s second-largest employer to help fill a $700 million hole in the state budget.

[...]