[lbo-talk] more on union leaders and the Harris poll

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 15:22:23 PDT 2008

Hmm, odd. So even though "union leader" still ranks at the bottom, it is climbing upwards as of late, then? interesting that the USA Today front page on Monday chose to highlight the positive and didn't mention the negative, regarding the "union leader" position's prestige. It did say their prestige was ascending faster than bankers', though. :)

Maybe his is why when I briefly tried my hand at "organizing" I met with such resounding failure. It really convinced me maybe I just wasn't a people person, and needed to stick to being a bookworm and an audiophile.

Some of the attitudes I met when trying to convince people to join unions were just downright ugly, and I was genuinely taken aback by a lot of it, because to me it just made such eminent sense to belong to one. Even people already in (business) unions didn't have much nice to say about them half of the time. What floored me were people who told me that their employee handbook forbade them from joining unions. I always asked to see these handbooks, and no one could ever show them to me. I'd say abut 50% of the people I spoke with, under the age of 35 or so, thought unions were these exotic, old-timey organizations that you saw in black and white movies, had little relevance to today's affairs.

-B.

B. wrote:

"On the lower left hand corner of the front page of today's (8-25-08) USA Today is a colorful chart showing 'Jobs Rising in Prestige.' 'Union leader' is in this category."

Dennis Claxton wrote:

"There are five occupations that are perceived by one-quarter or more of adults to have 'hardly any prestige at all.' These include stockbrokers (25%), union leaders (30%), entertainers (31%), real estate brokers (34%) and actors (38%). The lowest ratings for "very great prestige" go to real estate brokers (5%), actors (9%), bankers (10%), accountants (11%), entertainers (12%), stockbrokers (12%), union leaders (13%), journalists (13%), business executives (14%), and athletes (16%)."