[lbo-talk] tragedy of the commons

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:35:27 PDT 2008

this has me thinking of alasdair macintyre's _dependent rational animals_. i taught this book once in an intro ethics class. his argument (or anyway a large part of it) is essentially that human beings are not built (not to say "designed") to be completely independent. we can't be. and so ethical/moral models that take independence (and particularly with a certain kind of rationality as part of that indendence) as an absolute ideal set us up for failure. at best.

he's quite aristotelian in this book, but in an updated, "in the tradition" way, not in a retro kind of way. short book. easy read. worth it i think, although i'd be interested in other opinions, contrary or not. surely i'm not the only one on the list who's read it?

and it DOES seem to me to bear on the question of the commons, but it would take a couple of (short, i think) steps to get there.