[lbo-talk] tragedy of the commons

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:50:28 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But we still have a long way to go to convince US folks that
> capitalism is not the best system for expression of individuality,
> something that is distinct from "bourgeois individualism" -- which
> is in fact sham individualism.

Then what is the best system that promotes diversity?

And would a large hierarchical organization on the left -- like say The Nation -- promote this system which strives for nonhierarchical, horizontal worker relations? Suppose they tried. Then a few minutes later, wouldn't the rank & file say, "Let's do that here, then!"

There was a nonhierarchical news outlet, called The NewStandard. They had 5 employees, and each worker had a balanced mix of empowering work, so they were roughly equally empowered. They developed an accountability procedure for when people habitually missed deadlines, abused power, etc. They had a loyal audience which contributed well per capita.

But they claim they were ignored by the large-scale media institutions on the left: The Nation, Utne Reader, Mother Jones, The Progressive, In These Times, Greenpeace, etc. The NewStandard wasn't mentioned, despite repeatedly contacting these left organizations. Not even neutral coverage, much less actual support.

What I just stated was claimed in this discussion (3:10 into the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7uopwu6XY&feature=related

I don't know whether it's true, or how much it contributed to The NewStandard's demise. But I just googled the websites of The Nation, Utne Reader, Mother Jones, etc -- no coverage. On Utne.com is a brief link to The NewStandard's eulogy. In These Times employed an ex-NewStandard employee, Megan Tady, for a short while. That's it.

What does this mean? Well, /I'm/ around now, drawing lessons on how to promote causes I think make sense. One lesson is to be aware of the institutional structures in the organized left. Another is to improve upon my predecessors' actions.

Tayssir