[lbo-talk] The Myth of the Tragedy of the Commons

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Aug 29 07:30:33 PDT 2008

shag wrote: Hardin wrote:

>"Freedom in a commons brings ruin to all."

to me, this is the more interesting part of his claim and gets at something that always bugs me about anarchist-type arguments.

the idea is that a community is self-regulating, to prevent itself from abusing its resources. but as i think Perelman says and this article points out, the commons-based community doesn't allow people complete freedom. it regulates itself via tacit rules -- norms -- about how people are to _use_ land.

^^^^^ CB: Other terms for these norms and rules are custom, tradition and law, law as state enforced custom. Law is perhaps at the explicit end of the "explicit - tacit" spectrum of norms. Although, I'd suspect the Commoners and Lords, Ladies and Bishops thoroughly talked about the customs . as much as the laws for land use.

The society before capitalism in which commons existed was a private property regime in terms of law. It was a different private property system than capitalism, but it was private property. Feudal private property/norm/rules.

Communism aims to abolish all forms of private property in the basic means of production, like land. It will be The Reality of the Comedy of the Commons.