[lbo-talk] Real/unreal - so what ?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 10:44:15 PDT 2008

Well, I'm what they call a "natural atheist" so I guess my problem is that I don't really have any idea what you mean by "God".

It seems to be a connection between personal and the mysterious that I can't make.

This will probably be very unsatisfying to you, but you might take a look at this:

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/mandelbrot04/mandelbrot04_index.html

And think of it this way:

Basic Geometry gaves us a model of the world in polygons.

The Calculus gave us a model of the world in smooth curves.

Fractals give us a model of the world that is rough but ordered in disorder.

So what will the next level of insight give us?

And shouldn't we always imagine that there will be another?

I believe there's an irreducible indeterminacy in the relationship between reality and our thought-world, so mystery and possibility are always there. I don't know if that seems "real" enough for you, but I can live with it.