[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing may not hurt the poor, study finds

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Aug 30 07:16:23 PDT 2008

Jordan wrote:
>Tennessee is a weird one; they have a flat tax on income from stocks
>and bonds, but no personal or business income tax ...

And to make up for it Tennessee's sales tax *on food* is 5.5% (7% on non-food sales). It all used to be 7%, I believe, which made it traumatic to buy groceries there. I'm used to Florida, which also has no income tax, but where there is no sales tax on unprepared food. Florida can get away with this, barely, because of taxes on tourism.

Jenny Brown