[lbo-talk] Real/unreal - so what ?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 13:13:53 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 10:44 AM, boddi satva wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm what they call a "natural atheist" so I guess my problem is
>> that I don't really have any idea what you mean by "God".
>
> It isn't what I mean by "God" - it's the generally accepted social construct
> that provides ethical guidance and meaning to the lives of a wide swath of
> humanity. Traditionally god (or greater power) has been defined by the wise
> and learned of culture and is constructed to serve the purpose of popular
> guidance. Todays constructs seem unsatisfactory to the task - hence Dwayne's
> chairs and hammers. I have merely been suggesting that a redefinition by the
> 'wise and learned' (of LBO) might be a pleasant alternative to whacking each
> other with 'toonces', as well as possibly producing a useful social tool.
>
> martin

FIrst, I'm happy for people to resurrect "Toonces". First, I'm clearly not driving anything so the metaphor doesn't really apply well to me. But it does apply well to GWB.

Second, when I wrote "what *you* mean by 'God'" I meant "what *one* means by 'God'".

Purely as a description of myself, I have realized that relative to the meaning it has for most people, I just don't understand the concept of Greater Power.

I'm not an "evangelical" atheist by any means. I've always loved religion. But I realize now that's because I don't really take it seriously in the way most people do. Because I have this kind of defective understanding, I really wouldn't be able to add to the development of a "Greater Power" thesis, except maybe to offer a suggestion of where in the intellectual world one might place that "Power".

Mystery - to me - resides in the irreducible indeterminacy of the relationship between our "self" (really any living "self") and reality. I think it also resides in freedom of choice and creativity. For me, it's impossible to see ethical guidance and meaning as any but human constructs. They come from a mysterious place, but only to the extent anything else does. Music is far more mysterious than ethics, I think.

Personally, I never have understood and find it impossible to understand the idea that ethics come from somewhere or something outside us. I know most people do, but I don't get it. It's a defect, I guess.