[lbo-talk] Russia confiscates papers that have a "political look"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 15:06:03 PDT 2008

I call it somebody complaining to the local authorities about the eXile, the local authorities making an audit to determine if there is anything to it, and the investors running away. Exactly what it looks like, what the local authorities said it was, and what Ames said it was. (What exactly are Soviet-style suits?)

The thing is, Russia has a thing called hate speech laws, and Limonov engages in what could be interpreted as hate speech. When you and I read the eXile, we know they're joking. When a bureaucrat reads it, he doesn't. The eXile was probably complained about not because of its politics, but because it is highly offensive and features Eduard "women liked to be raped" Limonov, who most Russians think is a Nazi, even though really he isn't.