[lbo-talk] Russia confiscates papers that have a "political look"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 15:19:35 PDT 2008

I am not omniscient, and it is not outside of possibility. However, the eXile was an English-language publication few Russians, even those in Moscow, know ever existed. It is an expat publication, and they haven't stirred up trouble in years, having become rather tame of late.

I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes, but the idea that the authorities (local, federal, or whatever) would be worried about Mark Ames is silly. Especially since he was one of the main guys in English writing generally pro-Russian material and in fact has worked for Russian state television.

I also do not know if the investors pulled out because they were genuinely scared, or as an excuse to drop a financially losing project. I do not know.

Now, it is highly more probable that what attracted their attention is something somebody brought to their attention by Limonov, since he is the leader of an organization classified as extremist. On the other hand, Limonov also writes for Rolling Stone.