[lbo-talk] ninos de la noche

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 30 16:24:09 PDT 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:

>>> I tend to agree with what you write here. There was also the very
>>> curious correct spelling of Kucinich's difficult last name but the
>>> obvious misspellings of "Barach" (confused with Spinoza?) and
>>> "Hilary," not mention that the latter did not warrant a last name.
>>>
>> Are you saying the misspelling is deliberate?
>> I certainly didn't think so.
>> In emails I pay no attention to peoples misspellings. It's generally a
>> trite thing to get vexed about.
>>

> I tend to agree that ordinarily spellinngs ought not be attended to.
>
> But here the misspelling is derivative from the failure to grant her a
> surname -- the _only_ person in a lengthy list to be denied a surname.
>
> But also, for a number of reasons, I have become increasingly aware over
> the past year just how deeply a sort of amused contempt of women, and
> frightening resentment of 'uppity' women, runs among u.s. leftists.
> Inability to come to terms with the rights of womennn was a major
> element in the gradual disintegrationn of the '60s left (black, white,
> latino), and it coud be a major barrier to the growth and strength of
> any new left upsurge. Hence I do nnot think we should take lightly even
> relatively innsigfificant expressions of the disease.
>
> Carrol

The surname issue is separate from the spelling since Obama's name was also misspelled. Failure to use Hillary Clinton's full name when full names were used for all the others could be considered a sign of thin contempt for women if it could be demonstrated that this author consistently did this. I'm not inclined to go back to see if Chuck has or hasn't done this. I suspect he has. The use of Hillary's first name as a small way of diminishing her with regards to her competitors has existed in the Media for some time now. It has made no small appearance on this list as well..

John Thornton