[lbo-talk] Russia confiscates papers that have a "political look"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 03:33:14 PDT 2008

This is actually a good point.

Ingushetia is a good case. The thing is, Russia is not a centralized system. Far from it. It is run by lots of local little lords, of which the head of Inguishetia is one, and the lord down there is not feeling very secure given the stuff blowing up. Like I said, what "extremism" is is left vague and interpreted and implemented by local people. Thus, the temptation is to use it against your opponents or simply misdirecting it out of imcompetence or attempts by bureaucrats to build careers, as when Piontkovsky was labelled extremist in I think it was Primorye. (He's an idiot, but not an extremist.)

(Now it may actually be the case that inguishetia.ru is in fact extremist -- which would be ultranationalist or violent Islamist -- but I don't know since I never looked at them.)