[lbo-talk] Chris Marker dvds

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 11:19:16 PDT 2008

Thanks for posting about that filmmaker, John.

Reading about him reminds me of this description I came across of another late 60s movie, by William Klein:

http://www.criterion.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=2000900

Mr. Freedom William Klein, 1969

William Klein moved into more blatantly political territory with this hilarious, vicious Vietnam-era lampoon of imperialist American foreign policy. Mr. Freedom (John Abbey), a bellowing good-ol'-boy superhero decked out in copious football padding, jets to France to cut off a Commie invasion from Switzerland. A destructive, arrogant patriot in tight pants, Freedom joins forces with Marie Madeleine (a satirically sexy Delphine Seyrig) to combat lefty freethinkers, as well as the insidious evildoers Moujik Man and inflatable Red China Man, culminating in a star-spangled showdown of kitschy excess. Delightfully crass, Mr. Freedom is a trenchant, rib-tickling takedown of gaudy modern Americana.

-B.

John E. Norem wrote:

"http://tiny.cc/XcXQs"