[lbo-talk] Goolsbee: subprime was pretty groovy (in 2007)

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Mon Dec 1 05:57:00 PST 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:02:09 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Max B. Sawicky wrote:
>
>> And in general looser credit is better than tighter credit, within
>> limits that
>> were obviously breached, but looser is the more liberal impulse.
>
> Well, no. Loose credit is often the cowardly solution to class
> conflict. Instead of taking money from the rich, they're encouraged
> to lend it to the poor. Instead of having a rational housing policy,
> which insulates shelter from the idiocies of speculative markets, we
> have subprime loans to people who shouldn't be borrowing gobs of
> money. This is one of the foundational defects of populism.

<http://www.fanniemaefoundation.org/programs/hpd/pdf/hpd_1503_Wyly.pdf>

"These trends have magnified inequalities in the inner city. Our evidence rcveals a strong surge of mortgage capital investment into the gentrifying central areas of two dozen large cities, a surge driven by the decisions of middle-class and wealthy home buyers and the well-capitalized banks that cater to them. Yet deep racial and ethnic disparities persist in these same neigh- horhoods and cannot be explained away as the product of borrower deficiencies. Indeed, institutional characteristics are crucial, particularly in new forms of stratification where a lender's willingness to serve blacks has become closely linked to specialization in higher-cost subprime credit. New lines of stratified rem vestment are laid atop prior rounds of redlining, discrimination, and dis in- \TSrl11ent. Institutional segmentation is replacing exclusion and credit rationing. Mortgage lending has been woven into ever more complex secondary and tertiary markets, splintering financial commitments into multiple relation- ships that are unhinged from at least some of their underlying fundamentals. \X'c l11av be seeing a partial autonomy for housing debt markets as circuits of production and investment in their own right. This wave of financial innova- tiOJl has certainly created new opportunities for many homeowners and home hu\Trs, hut the benefits are precariously mortgaged on the continued with- drawal of surplus value from nonhousing sectors or disinvested neighbor- h()()d~, regions, or countries in order to fuel the capitalized house price infLnion of a relativelv few favored submarkets."

(Sorry for the bard OCR!)

Charles