[lbo-talk] J.Cole: Why US is responsible for crises in Kashmir and Pakistan

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 1 12:15:40 PST 2008

This is a very good piece:

http://www.juancole.com/2008/12/pakistani-reaganism-must-end-new.html

Most US observers, if they are conscious of Kashmir at all, don't think of it as something the US caused because the problem predated our involvement. But in its present form, it is very much something the US caused. And similarly the most dangerous problems destablizing Pakistan right now -- guns, drugs and fanatics -- are all problems that in this form they didn't have before we created the Mujahadin. They have fundamental problems that precede our involvement. But these problems they didn't originally have.

The only minor quibble is that despite Juan's title, we can't blame this all on Reagan; it started under Brzezinski. But that aside, this is an excellent account.

Michael