[lbo-talk] Ed Wallace: "imagine"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 12:38:32 PST 2008

http://www.star-telegram.com/ed_wallace/story/1064040.html

imagine

by Ed Wallace Special to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

I wish I had $5 for every time last week one of the power players in the Automotive-Industrial Complex, caught up in the whirlwind of Detroit’s potential demise, said this: "Ed, I want to make myself perfectly clear. I am a free-market capitalist — but this situation with Detroit is something completely different."

There’s nothing more telling about the duality of man than that line; it illustrates our ability both to believe in an ideology truly and deeply and yet practice its opposite in the pragmatic reality of the economic world.

Moreover, that line, or a close variation thereof came from people I hold in great respect, and they are articulate, intelligent, successful and Republican.

This is why I don’t believe in ideology. Hewing to one ideal worldview, guiding principle or policy distracts one from the necessity to adapt to change. And change seems constant in the economic realities that govern our world, that determine the dynamics of the growth or failure of much of America.

[...]

http://www.star-telegram.com/ed_wallace/story/1064040.html