[lbo-talk] Goolsbee: subprime was pretty groovy (in 2007)

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Dec 1 23:35:31 PST 2008

Shane Taylor wrote:
> But it's the breached limits he was defending. My takeaway from the piece was the credit evaluation in subprime lending is working and the fears are antiquated. It read like a stock piece of tut-tutting about old conceits blinding some to the virtues of bold, new innovations. Of course, he wasn't in a professional minority to say so.

Similarly, in October 2006 Muhammad Yunus won the Nobel Peace Prize on the same stupid premises: markets work for the poor, but the poor need access to markets; credit is the great 'human right' that will remove artificial barriers to participation in capitalism; the poor are more reliable in their commitment to repayment...

No clue about how uneven/combined development (especially in the real estate market) is periodically amplified by the financial system, a process Marx knew so well, but one that cannot even be conceptualised in mainstream economics.