[lbo-talk] the Bush style of clemency: love your gun

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:47:07 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Bill Bartlett wrote:
> I have to say that the discussion of this issue of presidential pardons is
> completely missing the point.

It is? Before the 1968 Gun Control Act, felons were still able to vote and do many other things they haven't been able to do since - state laws not considered. The usurpation of state rights on things such as rights retained by felons is a thorny topic. Read FBI, a national police force, databases that are Constitutionally and Case History disallowed. Still, the death by 1,000 tiny cuts proceeds. Driven by those who cannot think through unemotionally and the others with their different agenda. In fact, the whole history of gun control is checkered at best, outside of those misguided and wrongly-intented efforts.

I challenge anyone to present evidence otherwise.

> Which is that pardons undermine the whole idea of the rule of law.

In your view, when someone gets railroaded, they should have no hope of recourse after the Supreme Court - assuming they can afford to get that far?

Certainly, as assuredly as the sun rises and sets, Presidential Pardons have been abused. This is not to say that they have always been abused or that they should be abolished. They will likely be abused again. This still is not sufficient to abolish them.

See Andie N. and Chris D. on corrupted justice and why something like a Presidential Pardon should be kept in play.

Percy