[lbo-talk] Dean Baker: let house prices fall further

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Dec 3 15:05:12 PST 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:08:09 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> quoted:

> WASHINGTON, DC- With new data coming out each week lamenting
> plummeting house prices

Every time I hear this geschrei I scratch my head in wonder. Have I accompanied Alice through the looking glass? Normally, when the price of an essential commodity falls, we view this as a good thing.

The inversion of this response in the case of housing is an index of the fabulously successful use of house ownership as a means of social control.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org