[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:11:13 PST 2008

> "In my community, growing up in Brooklyn, in the projects, homophobia is
> part of the culture," says Michael K Williams. "And it astounds me how that
> just got overlooked. Omar is not going to be remembered for who he went to
> bed with. That's such a small part of who we are as human beings anyway.
> People are more concerned with whether they're in the way of his shotgun."

Ha!!! I just realised I pulled a total Freudian reading on this one... I thought that the actor was saying that he was astounded how often the homophobia as part of black culture gets overlooked. He was actually saying that it got overlooked by many gangstas that the character of Omar that he was gay.

Either way the point still stands... but it has to be said that if that is a quote verbatim then a psychoanalyst would have a fucking field day. If the repressed returns as accidental admission through glaring ambiguity... well...