[lbo-talk] the Bush style of clemency: love your gun

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 17:24:14 PST 2008

I think that this pardons business it trivial and irrelevant and I don't think the fate of society is determined one way or another by the legality of firearms.* With regards to the rule of law, however, I think a dubious assertion it being made. In fact, laws came into existence to protect the interests of the ruling classes. Take the Constitution, e.g. A substantial part of it is dedicated to addressing issues arising from slavery, such as what to do with fugitive slaves apprehended in another state. The reality is, Laws are only going to be good, from a left perspective, to the extent the country or institution is democratically responsive. Furthermore, most of the advantages we enjoy, though now legal protected, were brought into existence by people who at the time would have been breaking the law by engaging in the action they were.** And in the long run I think we would transcend the need of laws if society progresses in a constructive direction.

*Public discussion of them is tolerated probably because the powers that be don't care that much one way or another, like abortion. **Incidentally, many worthwhile laws, such as the Geneva Convention or labor laws, are unenforced.