[lbo-talk] In Which, At Long Last, I Ride With Mephistopheles and Faust To The East

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Dec 3 18:10:26 PST 2008

On Wed, December 3, 2008 12:48 pm, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Mephistopheles on the PSP:
> <http://monroelab.net/images/Mephistopheles_PSP.jpg>

The PSP should be reclassified as a dangerous narcotic. I bought mine thinking I'd use it mostly as a game device. But the multimedia functionality has been a revelation. Moved my whole music library on the thing this summer (something like 5GB), plus lots of videos. It was one of those foundational moments for me - the whole mobile media boom suddenly made sense. Of course, sometimes you have to convert video files into MP4 format, which can be a pain.

Since I have a Mac now, I use MPEG Streamclip (www.squared5.com), a handy freeware program which converts lots of files into the appropriate format. The best freeware transcoder I've found for the PC is Pazera: http://www.pazera-software.com/products/free-video-downloader/ Also, good old VLC also has some nice transcoding features (in both Mac and PC versions).

-- DRR