[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 4 10:29:14 PST 2008

Can anyone explain in 100 words or less just why this topic is so popular? In the past numerous writers have tried to draw a line of demarcation between contexts in which speaking of "blacks" as a single (coherent?) entity could make sense and contexts in which it made no sense. For example, it makes no sense to speak of "blacks" as a category in reference to the mythical "average intelligence." In respect to that one can only speak intelligibly of individuals, independently of group characteristics. To speak of the average intelligence of "blacks" is to reveal oneself as a slimy racist who ought to be denied the company of decent men and women. I have only sampled this thread and have no desire to read much further, but unless there is strong evidence to the contrary, I would suspect that the question of black homophobia _as_ _black_ homophobia is as racist as the question of black intelligence. I would welcome (short) rebuttals of this feeling.

Carrol