[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Dec 4 14:54:26 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 02:23:24PM -0500, Joseph Catron wrote:

> If you're speaking of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, it all depends on what you
> mean by "the religion." As a friend of mine wrote on his
> blog<http://youngleftandmennonite.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/hello-world>
> :
>
> "Those of us that started Lancaster SDS have been friends for years - most
> of us have grown up together, and attended the same Mennonite church since
> we were little. We've had a community from the beginning - known what it was
> like to grow up in a setting where we were supported and loved in the
> decisions we made."
>
> And while I don't have handy quote on hand, I suspect from discussions with
> another friend of mine, a former staff organizer for the Lancaster Coalition
> for Peace and Justice who works in my building (and whose old place in
> Lancaster I may be crashing at this weekend), that he would ascribe a
> similarly strong role to the preexisting religious community in that
> organization.

I suppose to clarify, I see a distinction between using the existing religious community to form a secular movement, as opposed to the movement being religious. I think this quote supports my position, and the generalization I was trying to make which attempts to refute the "black folk are conservative due to religion....just look at the civil rights movement..." position.

And yes, absolutely, these are the two orginations I was referencing. I live in Lancaster [feel free to offlist...maybe we know some of the same ppl...]

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

-George Clinton