[lbo-talk] Damon Silvers: The signal theory of labor law

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Dec 4 17:58:52 PST 2008

Michael Pollak wrote:

>Apropos, I just today realized that with all the discussion of how SEIU and Change to Win aren't down for single payer, I somehow missed how the AFL-CIO now is. The Federation adopted this plank last year[...]

Unfortunately this doesn't mean much. It's progress that they're talking about it as a version of Medicare, but the AFL-CIO has made noises about supporting single-payer since the early '90s. As soon as some Kennedy-Obama mess comes up, they'll be on board, over the objections of the California Nurses Association. (Technically, SEIU is also on record supporting single-payer, in a resolution at their last convention.)

Jenny Brown