[lbo-talk] Damon Silvers: The signal theory of labor law

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Dec 5 18:55:11 PST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Jenny Brown wrote:

> Thinking strategically, the AFL-CIO should go for single payer *to the
> exclusion* of these more expensive, more complicated, more 'practical'
> plans

I couldn't agree more. I think harping single payer is the left's key to moving the center. It's a simple answer to WITBD that can be summed up in two sentences. You can also sum up why anything else will fail. It's the best kind of radical politics, the kind where losing and maintaining your principles will increase the appeal of our principles. It's exactly what the right used to have: a vision that appeals to self interest and the desire for both moral and policy clarity.

But to explain that two liberals we'd have to have convincing spiel about worldviews and how you change them. They think you do it by incremental victories. And that way of thinking is definately deep-dyed in the two major labor coalitions.

Michael