[lbo-talk] Obama's very own surge....

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 14:03:41 PST 2008

I think you're painting with too broad of a brush. My understanding (gained largely from Primakov's book) is that the Afghan Communists had the backing of the urban middle classes and intelligentsia because of their secularism and program of industrialization, while they were opposed by the countryside because of their secularism and program of industrialization. Kabul vs. the rest of the country, in other words. Basically the same as now.

Babrak Karmal a revolutionary?