[lbo-talk] Obama defends Republic workers

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 8 08:58:36 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2008, at 11:14 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
>
>> What does the depreciation
>> of a home's value have to do with its owner's ability to continue
>> mortgage payments?
>
> It lowers the willingness, not the ability.

I have to echo JC: I don't follow. My house has dropped in value about $40,000 in the past two years. Because it's where I plan to live for many years, I could care less about the market value. In fact, I've seen a bit of a drop in my property taxes, so my escrow payments are actually lower this year. I don't get how this is lowering my willingness to make my mortgage payments.

Miles