[lbo-talk] Happy 80th Birthday, Noam Chomsky

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 09:06:46 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:20, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> No. Just 56.
>
> Also sharing the birthday: Willa Cather, Pietro Mascagni, Tom Waits, and Ted
> Knight.

With the bombing of Pearl Harbor leading to the entrance of the US to WWII, couldn't we also say that it was also the birth of the American Century, even if the conception came later?

Or maybe, following a rough, Naomi Klien guide, Pearl Harbor was the fucking that led to the birth and conception (in that order), making Dec. 7 the "fuck-day" of the American Century. I know there are all sorts of gender issues with it, but I think there might be a good pop-history concept there.

Then again, probably the last thing anyone needs is another pop-history concept: the damn "team of rivals" thing is getting really old. I'm sure on some level Goodwin must be regretting she came up with it since it will likely cloud everyone's understanding of that history for a generation. Then again, maybe she really believes it.