[lbo-talk] Obama defends Republic workers

Nick Robinson ndrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 13:31:52 PST 2008

True. I have a friend who bought a fixer-upper for ~215k a few years ago. Now it's worth half as much, but his mortgage payments remained ridiculous, something like $1800/month. He had good credit built up from years of making payments on the house and having bought two cars. So he decided to just abandon the fixer-upper and get a much better deal on another house using the good credit he had built up. He figured he didn't really need credit for the next ten years or so anyway.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/12/mover-50-of-mortgage-mods-fail-within-6.html This report that half of mortgage mods fail within 6 months doesn't surprise me. My friend would have needed a pretty drastic mod to stay in his house.