[lbo-talk] The New American Century, same as it ever was

M myles.sussman at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 15:06:28 PST 2008

> With the bombing of Pearl Harbor leading to the entrance of
> the US to
> WWII, couldn't we also say that it was also the birth
> of the American
> Century, even if the conception came later?

Actually the conception was at least as old as Henry Luce's essay in LIFE Magazine of February 7 1941 entitled "The American Century" (10 months prior to Pearl Harbor).

"The other day Herbert Hoover said that America was fast becoming the

sanctuary of the ideals of civilization. For the moment it may be

enough to be the sanctuary of these ideals. But not for long. It now

becomes our time to be the powerhouse from which the ideals spread

throughout the world and do their mysterious work of lifting the life

of mankind from the level of the beasts to what the Psalmist called a

little lower than the angels."

Of course that sounds a lot like the othery Henry, Henry Labouchère:

Pile on the brown man's burden,

compel him to be free;

Let all your manifestoes

Reek with philanthropy.