[lbo-talk] EEGs show brain differences between poor and rich kids

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 21:06:40 PST 2008

"Kids from lower socioeconomic levels show brain physiology patterns similar to someone who actually had damage in the frontal lobe as an adult," said Robert Knight, director of the institute and a UC Berkeley professor of psychology. "We found that kids are more likely to have a low response if they have low socioeconomic status, though not everyone who is poor has low frontal lobe response."

"These kids have no neural damage, no prenatal exposure to drugs and alcohol, no neurological damage," Kishiyama said. "Yet, the prefrontal cortex is not functioning as efficiently as it should be. This difference may manifest itself in problem solving and school performance."

Urrr... cause or effect? Simple question... cut the nonsense...

Frontal lobe? Prefrontal cortex? If my child spoke this kind of language I'd clean their mouth out with soap!