[lbo-talk] Obama defends Republic workers

randy geurts nosatisfaction at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 17:07:54 PST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> CB: Exactly. So, you should draw some conclusions from that.

Charles,

The conclusion I draw is that Obama doesn't want to thoroughly alienate his base before taking office. (That and I'd also guess he is fearful of giving right-populists ammunition.)

My question was to labor tactics, however. For sake of argument, let's presume you're right and Obama is the best friend workers have had in 30 years (or more). How does that change labor's tactical prescription?

Asked another way, if just a small hiccup of militancy has gotten the Republic workers sympathetic press and (hopefully) their severance, doesn't that suggest more mobilization will bring more benefit?

Rg