[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Dec 12 09:03:14 PST 2008

Wendy Lyon wrote:
>Santorum, from what you've given me, sounds to me like just your basic
nuclear family fetishist.

No, I suggested him because he makes the immigration point you asked about, and it's exactly in line with his anti-gay marriage point, which is the (white) birth rate needs to be propped up. Can't do that if you undermine the traditional production unit.

SA wrote:
>I don't follow abortion politics as closely as some others on the list,
but I've lived in this country all my life and this idea that the U.S. anti-abortion movement is fundamentally about race and immigration strikes me as totally wrong, almost comprehensively wrong.

I didn't say that. I said it's a rising trend in the right's rhetoric here, and we were comparing that to Europe, Italy in particular--whether or not it's being discussed there, and whether or not abortion rights forces are taking that attack on board or dealing with it.

Jenny Brown