[lbo-talk] Progress? (Was . . . Re: Catholicism, )

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 15:02:32 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 5:40 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> arx's promethean optimism

Well that's our problem, isn't it? Too much left discourse today is about how things are getting worse, the earth is doomed, culture is depraved by commerce, etc. There's little sense that we've got the means to do a lot better. Of course you can't recreate that optimism out of nothing, and I'm not sure that there are any circumstances under which it could be revived. But without it, we're not going very far.

Doug