[lbo-talk] Duck! Twice!

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 14 15:56:08 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-shoe15-2008dec15,0,1930513.story

As I learned in Morocco 50 years ago, in an Islamic culture to put one's shoe in one's hand is a severely threatening gesture and to throw it is a gesture expressing unmitigated contempt. If there is a Western term for this sort of thing, it is to be found in the *codex duello*. It is the equivalent of slapping one's enemy across the face with one's glove.

Shane Mage