[lbo-talk] Progress and Cariucature (Was Re: Catholicism. . . )

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 19:07:24 PST 2008

More to the point, why work for freedom for others? In some cases you can say: these are all-encompassing systems of social relations, so it's impossible e.g. for me to be free of capital without all being free of capital. And in some cases you can say that even the less-oppressed group has objective interests in change: as a man, I can see how I have selfish interests in the victory of feminism...

But then it seems to me that I'm an objective beneficiary of racism and imperialism; and in any event, isn't it easier to become a capitalist than overthrow capital? I mean, the very reason these systems reproduce themselves is that it's in each person's individual interest to do what the system demands of her - that's just what it _means_ for the system to demand something. So why fight it, if not from an irrational, emotional desire that people be free - i.e., from morality?