[lbo-talk] Chickens and unfertilized eggs (was Catholicism, was Re: blacks about...

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 14 19:30:37 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 9:16 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:15:14 -0500
> Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:
>
>> Tell me, if you can, the name of a Rabbi who denies that it is kosher
>> to fry eggs in butter even if there's a rooster in the barnyard.
>
> My rabbi, Reb Moshe Feinstein, ZT''L, doesn't directly address
> this question except perhaps by implication:
>
>> Reb Moshe Feinstein, ZT"L states the following concerning
>> unfertilized eggs: "Concerning eggs that are unfertilized, only the
>> blood spot within them would have to be removed, not the whole egg.
>> Of concern, I spoke to a farmer who told me that deals in fertilized
>> and unfertilized eggs… and when he has an overabundance of fertilized
>> eggs, he adds them to the unfertilized eggs for sale in supermarkets.
>> However, it is clear that not too many farmers do this, and those who
>> do only do so with a few eggs." Therefore, if one buys an egg from
>> the store in the United States, it can be considered a kosher egg,
>> even without checking it. However, it is common custom to check all
>> eggs for bloodspots and to treat them as if they were fertilized.

Clearly it is the presence of *blood* in the egg, fertilized or not, that makes it trief. A fertilized egg without blood spot is thus kosher, whether fried in butter or in oil. A fertilized egg that has gestated to the point where blood is visible may have gone bad and so should be shunned by anyone, Orthodox or not.

Shane Mage