[lbo-talk] Chickens and unfertilized eggs (was Catholicism, was Re: blacks about...

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 14 19:49:26 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I would suggest that there may have come a day when Farmer Ted sold
> all his roosters, and noticed that his hens were still laying eggs.
> Really, I'm not making this up. It could conceivably have happened
> at some point in the last several thousand years of chicken-rearing.
>
> In fact, I think Aristotle talks about this in Generation of Animals.

When that day came, it was also only a few days until Farmer Ted noticed that none of the eggs hatched. But his dimwitted son failed to notice that and so when he went to college and heard Aristotle lecture on the generation of animals he thought he heard Aristotle saying that chickens reproduce without sex. Unfortunately, it was the lecture notes of that dimwitted son that came down to us as Aristotle's book Generation of Animals.

Shane Mage